Tuesday, August 28, 2012

more happy things :)



I have been on an incredibly long streak of good days. An unheard of amount for me! I feel great. Better than I have for quite some time. It started with "The Slight Edge." The book talks about making simple, consistent decisions to progress.

Here are a few things that are easy to do: wake up twenty minutes early to work out, read from the scriptures every day, skip dessert, take the stairs, pack a lunch, avoid unnecessary purchases, etc. Likewise, it's easy to: sleep in, skip scripture study, eat dessert, take the elevator, buy fast food, and spend money.

If you make the right decision one day, it might not make that big of a difference. If you make the wrong decision instead, again, there's little consequence. However, imagine what it would be like if you made the right decision every day for a year! Ten years! And that, my friends, is the power of THE SLIGHT EDGE. (Yes you may borrow the book if you ask nicely.)

I first read the book early June. Afterwards I stopped drinking soda and started working out regularly. I mess up sometimes, but I've seen some improvement! I also read a little bit out of a success/self-help book every day. I finished "Your Best Life Now" by Joel Osteen and am now reading "The Feeling Good Handbook" by Dr. David Burns. It was specifically written for people suffering from depression and/or anxiety. It is AMAZING. I would recommend it to anyone who wants better control of their negative, self-defeating thoughts.

I think breaking up with Alonso has been good for me too. Yes, I believe that I truly did love him, or at least as much as a 16 year old girl is capable of. He was exactly what I needed when I needed it. He has been a great friend to me, and still is. He was a wonderful high school sweetheart. However, there are things that I need to learn and experience on my own. I've changed so much in the past few weeks alone that I would not have been able to do if I was still dependent on him. Alonso, I am so grateful for your influence in my life. I've said it before and I will forever stand by it: you saved my life. You arrived at a pivotal and hellish time for me. If I had never met you, my life would be drastically different. Thank you.

Along with these things, I've put more effort into scripture study, reading the Ensign, and working through "Daughters in my Kingdom." Being a student at BYU has changed me so much. I love being able to feel the Spirit while on campus and in class. I've been better about keeping a journal and recording the impressions I receive. 

My classes are fantastic. Today I had Accounting 200, which is the class I was most nervous for. There are over 700 students, and that was a little overwhelming. But the professor is hilarious and I feel like the workload will be manageable. I'm excited about the classes I'm taking. They are definitely going to be challenging, but not too much. I have a wonderful schedule in place already!

And all of that was super scattered, but hopefully it explains why I'm feeling the way I'm feelings: It's been a very very long journey, but I am genuinely happy. It was all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I dont know why but this brought tears to my eyes. I am seriously so happy for you Sarah. You are the greatest friend and it took you moving away for me to realize JUST how great you are. (of course i always knew a little) you too, have saved my life in countless instances that you may never realize. I love how we have gotten EVEN CLOSER since you left. Thank you for being such a positive influence in my life. Love you to pieces.
    --ZOE

    ReplyDelete