Sunday, November 18, 2012

Come, thou fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer;
Hither by thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for thy courts above.

This song so adequately describes how I'm feeling right now. I have been shown love and mercy from my Father. I desire to praise Him more than I ever have before! An Ebenezer is a remembrance stone that represents a new beginning or change of heart. I feel like I've had a change of heart in the past three months. I feel like the people of King Benjamin, who said in Mosiah 5 that the "Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent" had "wrought a mighty change" in their hearts. They wanted "to do good continually" and make covenants. I've made some mistakes in my life. I definitely strayed from the path that God would have me follow; but Jesus has saved me. I have two favorite lines in this song. The first is "He, to rescue me from danger, interposed his precious blood." I'm blessed to now have a strong testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I have faith in its ability to cleanse us of our sins and weaknesses. And so, I am completely reliant on the grace and mercy of my Savior. I feel like I'm in the process of becoming fully converted. I am "bind[ing] my wandering heart" to him. My second favorite line is that last line of the song: "Here's my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for they courts above." Recent experiences have led me to believe that I have NO idea what I'm doing with my heart. Six months ago I had a ten/twenty/fifty year plan. I thought I knew who I was going to be with and what I would be doing for the rest of my life. I'm still in the process of purging my heart of those feelings (as has been made obvious by recent emotionally-charged posts). But I'm improving. I'm becoming stronger. I have an important work to do and God is preparing me for it. Everyday I'm working to get better at turning my heart over to Him. I truly want Him to take my heart and make it whatever He wants it to be. His love is more than enough for me.

His love is also more than enough for you. If you are making mistakes, or are sad, lonely, or afflicted, then turn to Him. And the more I understand and feel His love for me, the more I can feel His love for everyone else. He loves you enormously. (As do I.)

1 comment: